Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This house on Polk Blvd. was the home of W. L. Drake. Mr. Drake was the second vice president of the Texas Oil Producers Company. The house is still standing.

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architectural design is Modified Renaissance style. The cost of construction was $750,000. The Polk County Courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic…

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architecture is modified Renaissance style and the cost of construction was $750,000. The courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic Places.

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architecture is modified Renaissance style and the cost of construction was $750,000. The courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic Places.

Built in 1908, the Government Building – later known as the Polk County Building, is an administrative building that originally served as the Post Office. Current home to the Polk County Heritage Gallery. The architecture is Beaux-Arts Classical…

The Des Moines Public Library was founded in 1866 and held a collection of 2,300 books when it opened its doors to the public. The library had many different homes until this building was constructed in 1903. Built on the location of the early home…

Unknown view of the Raccoon River.

Unknown view of the Raccoon River.

Unknown view along the Raccoon River.

Unknown view of land near Raccoon River.