Locust Street, Savery Hotel

Dublin Core

Title

Locust Street, Savery Hotel

Savery House

Subject

Hotels

Description

This was the second of three buildings that have been called The Savery. The first structure closed in 1878. This second building opened at a new location in 1888 to much fanfare. The entire building was lit by electric light, quite a novelty in 1888. The Savery housed the Des Moines Chamber of Commerce and was the center of all things political in Iowa. This building was torn down and a new Savery Hotel was built on the site in 1919.

Publisher

Davenport, Ia : Iowa Publishing Co.

Date

1904

2005/05/02

Coverage

401 Locust St.

Remote Item Item Type Metadata