Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
Iowa Library Services

Locust Street, Savery Hotel

Locust Street, Savery Hotel

Title

Locust Street, Savery Hotel
The New Savery Hotel

Description

This was the second out of three buildings that have been called The Savery. The first structure closed in 1878. This second building opened at a new location in 1888 to much fanfare. The entire building was lit by electric light, quite a novelty in 1888. The Savery housed the Des Moines Chamber of Commerce and was the center of all things political in Iowa. This building was torn down and a new Savery Hotel was built on the site in 1919.

Source

Special Collections, Cowles Library -- Drake University.

Publisher

Chicago, Il. : S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.

Date

1911
2005/06/02

Rights

U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: bart.schmidt@drake.edu

Relation

History of Des Moines and Polk County Iowa Iowa and Polk County Iowa and Polk County Iowa

Format

Photographic print, 3.5 x 4 in.

Type

Image

Identifier

v. 1, p.320
dm0205a
http://ddr.lib.drake.edu/u?/du-hdm,197

Coverage

401 Locust St.