Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This view is overlooking the pond in Greenwood Park. The land for Greenwood Park was purchased in 1894. Greenwood Park was the end of the Ingersoll street car line.

This house on Harwood Drive was built in 1910 and is still standing. It was the home of Dr. Charles E. Holloway and his wife Jennie. Dr. Holloway was a physician and surgeon. He was a member of the surgical staff at Methodist Hospital and acted as an…

This house on Harwood Drive was built in 1913 and is still standing. Dr. Schwaner was a dentist.

This house on Harwood Drive was the home of Henry H. Pharmer. Mr. Pharmer was the manager of the circulation department at Successful Farming Publishing Company. The house is still standing.

This house on Harwood Drive was built in 1906 and is still standing. It was the home of Lafayette Young, Jr. and his wife Virginia. Mr. Young was the general manager of the Des Moines Daily Capital. He was one of 12 American newspapermen invited as…

This house on Harwood Drive was the home of W. L. White and his wife Ella. Mr. White was the vice president and treasurer of the W L White Shoe Company. The house is no longer standing.

This house on Hickman Road was built in 1905 and is still standing. It was the home of Simon Casady. Mr. Casady was the president of the Des Moines Savings Bank, vice president of the Iowa National Bank and treasurer of the Bankers Life Association.…

After spending its first 14 years in Des Moines moving to different locations the YWCA moved into this building in 1909. The building cost $99,000 and featured dormitories on the third floor and a large lunch room on the first floor. Current site of…

After spending its first 14 years in Des Moines moving to different locations the YWCA moved into this building in 1909. The building cost $99,000 and featured dormitories on the third floor and a large lunch room on the first floor. Current site of…

Highland Park College was organized by a group of businessmen in 1889. The cornerstone was laid in the fall of 1889 and the college opened in September 1890. At the time this picture was taken, attendance at the college averaged about 2,000 students.…