088_Hoover and Lincoln High Schools
088_Hoover and Lincoln High Schools
This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.
86 The first evaluation of Hoover by the North Central Association was conducted by a team that visited the school November 4, 5, and 6, 1969. Recommendations of the team were accomplished where ever financial resouces and physical facilities would allow. During the school year 1975-76 the Hoover staff again engaged in their self-evaluation with a follow-up visit by the North Central team during the fall of 1976. The first principal of the school was Dr. Donald Wetter, who served in this capacity from the opening of the school in 1967 until December 1973, when he was appointed as Executive Director of Secondary Education for the Des Moines School District. Mr. Gerald Dockum was then appointed to the position, at which time the administration of Hoover High School and adjoining Meredith Junior High School was combined under one principal. Implementation of this centralized administration included combining the custodial force into one total unit, sharing of teachers in specialized teaching areas and further sharing of physical facilities in addition to the combined food service plan that had been utilized ever since both buildings began operation. Looking ahead, the emphasis will continue to be centered on meeting the changing needs of the students and the society in which they live. The addition of a resource teacher to work with students who are identified as having specific learning disabilities and the implementation of a career education program are only two examples of programs that will continue to help implement the purpose of the school as stated in the opening lines of its philosophy, "The primary concern of education at Hoover High School is to encourage the student in the fullest possible development of his intellectual abilities, his capacities as a person and as a member of society." Principals: Donald Wetter 1962 - 1973 Gerald Dockum 1973 - Lincoln High (Photograph) LINCOLN HIGH SCHOOL S.W. 9th and Bell Gr. 10-12 In September, 1966, Lincoln High School became solely a senior high school for the first time since it opened in September, 1923 as a 6 year junior- senior high school. Beginning in September, 1967, Lincoln will house only grades 10-12. The post WWI growth in Des Moines and the boom era of the 19201s required many new classrooms to house the high enrollments. The public school philosophy of the first two decades had looked to the 8-4 program; eight years elementary and a 4 year high school. The 19201s saw the rise of the junior high school philosophy or the 6-3-3 plan; six years elementary, three years junior high and three years senior high. The Building of Abraham Lincoln High School The bonds which were to pay for the building of Abraham Lincoln High School were voted March 18, 1918. They were sold as the money was needed between the years of 1918 and 1923. The site selected was west of Southwest Ninth Street. Samuel Bell bought the land from the government in the early 18501s. When it was purchased for the High School, most of it belonged to his daughter, Mrs. Rachel Mosier, although there is a list of some half-dozen owners besides. It was condemned for school purposes in 1919, costing the school district $49,280.80 including appraiser's fees and cost of condemnation. Work was started on October 7, 1921. The architectural work was given to Proudfoot, Bird, and Rawson, the general contract to J. E. Lovejoy; and the heating and plumbing contract went to the Van Dyke Heating and Plumbing Company. The cost of the building was $775,492.25; fixtures and furnishing increased it to a grand total of $949,754.95. The ceremonies that marked the laying of the corner-stone of the Abraham Lincoln High School Monday, May 16, 1922, were very impressive. J. W. Studebaker, the superintendent of schools, made a brief address, after which he spread the mortar and helped put the corner-stone in place. Mrs. MacKinnon, former president of the board of education, who was largely responsible for the school in south Des Moines, helped Mr. Studebaker. One of the interesting spectators at the laying of the corner-stone was Mrs. R. A. Mosier, pioneer resident of Des Moines.