Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
Iowa Library Services

007_Historical Building on Capitol grounds

video / audio

Title

007_Historical Building on Capitol grounds

Description

In 1896, the Iowa Legislature passed a law providing for the erection of a "Memorial, Historical and Art Building". The law provided for the purchase of property adjacent to the Capitol building and grounds for the purpose of construction and for the procurement of suitable plans, detailed drawings, and specifications for a fire-proof building on the chosen site. It would be used for the accommodation and preservation of the historical and art collections, library and museum of the historical department now owned by the state. ("The Law for the Memorial Building", ANNALS OF IOWA, v.II, No. 6, third series, July 1896, p. 477. On Tuesday, March 29, 1904, the Senate passed the House bill appropriating $200, 000 for the completion of the Historical Building, the corner-stone of which was laid May 17, 1899. The measure was introduced in the House by Hon. Emory H. English, of Polk county, and in the Senate by Hon. C.J.A. Ericson, of Boone county. ("The Historical Building Assured", ANNALS OF IOWA, v.VI, no. 5, April 1904, p. 385.

Creator

Unknown

Date

Circa 1913

Rights

This digital image may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this file is permitted without written permission of Iowa Library Services.

Type

Still Image

Identifier

7

File Name

007_HistoricalBldg1913.tif

Repository

Iowa Library Services/State Library of Iowa

Repository Collection

Iowa Library Services/Law Library

Digital item created

2012

Notes

Des Moines, Iowa Capitol Complex area around 1913. The horse and carriage are on the south side of Grand Avenue, north and east of the Capitol Building.