Library staff, 1952
Library staff, 1952
The library staff from 1952 is posed in front of the east side of the library building. The identified staff members are: Row 1 (left to right): Dorothy Havlik, Ione Miller, Roselyn Baher, Dorothy Van Bogart, Arlyn Storvick. Row 2 (left to right) Dorothy Allen, Josephine Pulsifer, Francis Warner, Constance Hauser, Jane Dobbs, Helen Baum. Row 3 (left to right) Arlyn van Ploeg, Angeline Dye, Janice Burright, Anna Young, unknown, Patricia Broker. Row 4 (left to right) Muriel Boedecker?, Dorothea Hunt, Robert Gilpatrick, Mildred Brown, unknow, Sonje Ellingboe, Ruth Kristofferson. Row 5 (left to right): Arlene James, Madonna Mestdagh, Mary Alice Baseman, unknown, Mildred McHone, John McNee, May Williams, Leona Borchers. Row 6 (left to right) Grant Hanson, Evelyn Wimersberger, Grace Oberheim, Charles H. Brown, Robert W. Orr, Bob Havlik.
The library was first housed in Old Main, which also contained the college's reception room, lecture hall, specimen museum, students' rooms, a chapel, kitchen, laundry, and dining room. An initial purchase of $2,500 for books for the library was made in 1870 by President Welch. The library was moved to Morrill Hall in 1896 and to the Central Building (now Beardshear Hall) in 1913. In 1925, the new library building was completed to house the library's 115,000 volumes under one roof. The new facility was not large enough to allow for adequate expansion and was outgrown within five years. The first addition to the library was completed in 1961, with a second addition completed in 1969 and a third addition was completed in 1983. In 1984, the Iowa State University Library was officially dedicated as the W. Robert and Ellen Sorge Parks Library.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
17.7 x 13cm