Library staff, 1955
Library staff, 1955
The library staff from 1955 is posed in front of the east side of the library building. They are: front row (left to right): Dorothy Redfield, Dorothy Parek, Mary Lou Johnson, Nancy Currie, Louise Hobbs, Elaine Zimmerman, Evelyn Tirado, Miriam Oliver. Second row (left to right): Patricia Ponce, Josephine Pulsifer, Beverly Van Fossen, Martha Schrei, Mary Tremmel , Joan Scanlon. Third row (left to right): Grant Hanson, Evelyn Wimmersberger, Marjorie Smith, Irene Wirth, Lois cox, Beverly Samuelson, Jean Cross, Madona Mestdagh, Beverly Speicher, Mildred McHone. Fourth row (left to right): Mildrew Brown, Dorothea Hunt, Shirley Camp, Ruth Richardson, Helen Mickefoose, Myrtle Davis, Fancis Warner, John McNee, Elizabeth Windson. Fifth row (left to right): Beverly Zimmerman, Catherine Burkiholder, Grace Oberheim, Joan Davis, Sara Koepp, Charles H. Brown, Robert W. Orr.
The library was first housed in Old Main, which also contained the college's reception room, lecture hall, specimen museum, students' rooms, a chapel, kitchen, laundry, and dining room. An initial purchase of $2,500 for books for the library was made in 1870 by President Welch. The library was moved to Morrill Hall in 1896 and to the Central Building (now Beardshear Hall) in 1913. In 1925, the new library building was completed to house the library's 115,000 volumes under one roof. The new facility was not large enough to allow for adequate expansion and was outgrown within five years. The first addition to the library was completed in 1961, with a second addition completed in 1969 and a third addition was completed in 1983. In 1984, the Iowa State University Library was officially dedicated as the W. Robert and Ellen Sorge Parks Library.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections email@example.com For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
17.6 x 12.7cm