Library staff, 1925
Library staff, 1925
The library staff in this portrait taken in 1925. Charles H. Brown is the center man in the back row. On his right is Robert Orr, who succeeded Dr. Brown as director. Some of the other longtime staff members pictured are: Evelyn Wimersberger, left at the end of the third row; Frances Warner, center of the front row holdings purse; Mary Rhea Barron, right end of the second row; and grace Oberheim, second from the right in the third row.
The library was first housed in Old Main, which also contained the college's reception room, lecture hall, specimen museum, students' rooms, a chapel, kitchen, laundry, and dining room. An initial purchase of $2,500 for books for the library was made in 1870 by President Welch. The library was moved to Morrill Hall in 1896 and to the Central Building (now Beardshear Hall) in 1913. In 1925, the new library building was completed to house the library's 115,000 volumes under one roof. The new facility was not large enough to allow for adequate expansion and was outgrown within five years. The first addition to the library was completed in 1961, with a second addition completed in 1969 and a third addition was completed in 1983. In 1984, the Iowa State University Library was officially dedicated as the W. Robert and Ellen Sorge Parks Library.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
23.3 x 16.6cm