A group of individuals playing football.
Football was played on the Iowa State campus as early as the 1870s, but was only an intramural sport. Soon the different ""teams"" from schools around Iowa began challenging one another to see who was the best in Iowa. The first Iowa State intercollegiate football game was played in 1892 against the State Center team under coach Ira C. Brownlie who was also the captain. College president William Beardshear started an athletic association to officially sanction Iowa State athletic teams in 1894. In1895, Iowa State played Northwestern University and won 36-0. After that game, the headline on the Chicago Tribune read ""Struck by a Cyclone"" in reference to Iowa State's impressive win over Northwestern. Since then, the Iowa State athletic teams have been known as the Cyclones. Glenn ""Pop"" Warner coached the football team for a few weeks every year during1895-1899. In 1914, a new field was constructed and at first named ""New State Field"" in reference to the old field, which was just simply called State field. Later it would be known as Clyde Williams Field. In 1975, the football games began to be played at the newly constructed Cyclone Stadium, which was later renamed Jack Trice Stadium. Iowa State made it to its first bowl game, the Sun Bowl, in 1971.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
17.1 x 6.4 cm
Still Image (color)