Memorial Union, 1957
Memorial Union, 1957
This 1957 photograph is of the beginning excavations for what will be the bookstore and Sun Room in the Memorial Union. A workman in a skid shovel with the shovel full of dirt and raised high waits and looks towards a dump truck that is emptying its load just beyond some trees. The earth around the skid shovel is stripped bare, tangled with tree roots and shows tire tracks under the raised shovel. The shovel has removed earth from near the terrace wall on the left. Two other workmen look at something on a table outside a white construction cabin beyond the back (south) corner of the Union.
Designed by Proudfoot, Rawson, and Souers, the Memorial Union was constructed in 1927-1928 by Arthur H. Neumann and Company. Built as a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War I, the original construction included the main 5 story section, Gold Star Hall, and the Great Hall. By 1938, more space was desperately needed, and the south wing was built. The addition enlarged the dance space, increased the commons area, and included a bowling alley in the basement. An extension of the south wing and addition to the southeast corner was completed in 1948. Construction on the northwest corner started 1950, and included the west terrace, chapel, and browsing library. The bookstore and Sun Room were built in 1957-1958. The northeast section was built in 1964. This involved the Campanile Room, Regency Room, and Cardinal Room on the first floor, and the Pioneer Room on the second floor, and student office spaces on the ground floor. A southeast expansion for the bookstore and food production area was completed in 1973, and two additional floors were built on the southeast wing in 1978-1979. A ground floor renovation in 1995-1996, created the present day Food Court. The Union was again renovated in 2006-2008 which included the improvement of the facade facing Lincoln Way. From its beginning in 1927, the Memorial Union was a nonprofit corporation, independent from Iowa State, and governed by a Board of Directors. In 2003, the corporation was dissolved, allowing the Memorial Union to become part of the University.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
12.1 x 9.5 cm
Still Image (grayscale)