Tennis began at Penn College in 1887. It started taking off in the 1890's when tennis clubs were formed, and two tennis courts were built on campus. Around the year 1900, Penn really began gaining recognition in tennis, with championships being won, and records being broken in both men and women's tennis. Tennis ended at Penn in 1999-2000 with the last women's tennis team.
William Penn University; Wilcox Library Archives