Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
State Library of Iowa

Botany Lab in Old Main, 1897

Botany Lab in Old Main, 1897

Title

Botany Lab in Old Main, 1897

Description

Students are examining plant speciments with microscopes in the Botany Lab located in part of the old chapel of the Main Building (Old Main). Professor Pammel is bending over looking through a microscope in the center of the photograph. There is a map and posters showing the anatomy of plants hanging on the walls.
The Department of Botany was established at Iowa State in 1870 with Charles E. Bessey serving as Dept. Head. Professor Bessey guided the Botany Department during its formative years and he created the first undergraduate botanical laboratory in the United States as well as the university's herbarium. Graduate work for the M.S. degree was offered in 1871, and in 1914 major work leading to the PhD degree was added. In 2003, the Botany Department was combined with Microbiology and Zoology/Genetics to form the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology.

Creator

Iowa State University

Source

RS 13/5/F.Botany.1039-4-2

Publisher

Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html

Date

1897
2005-12-05

Rights

U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections archives@iastate.edu For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html

Relation

University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html

Format

Photograph
25.4 x 19.7 cm

Type

Image (grayscale)
Image

Identifier

13-5-F.Botany.1039-4-2
http://cdm16001.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15031coll15/id/1798