Carrie Chapman Catt Hall
Carrie Chapman Catt Hall
The front of Catt Hall, the lawn and surrounding trees. There is a period car parked by the front stairs of the building.
Agricultural Hall (1892-1927), as it was originally called, was designed by Josselyn and Taylor and constructed by Whiting and Wood. Construction was completed in 1893. It was built four stories tall with a basement level, which was designed for the Horticulture department. The ground-level exterior of the building was built to allow one to drive a team of horses in, unload horticultural supplies into the basement, and drive out the other side. The building also housed the Chemistry and Agricultural departments, and included a livestock room where live farm animals were brought in to be studied. In 1903, an addition was built on the north side, the Farm Mechanics and Soil Physics building. Agricultural Engineering moved out of Agricultural Hall and into its new building in 1922. The Botany department moved in during 1928 and the building was renamed Botany Hall (1928-1968). During 1967-1968, the Botany department moved out and the Psychology department took its place, renaming the building Old Botany Hall (1969-1992). The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Demolition of Old Botany was considered several times, but the decision to begin a $5 million renovation and rename the building to Carrie Chapman Catt Hall was made in 1992. Old Botany officially became Carrie Chapman Catt Hall in the fall of 1995. Catt was an Iowa State graduate (1880) who went on to be a major leader in the women's suffrage movement and founder of the League of Women Voters. The Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are currently housed in Catt Hall.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
10.2 x 7.6 cm
Still Image (color)