State Library of Iowa
Copyright and Ownership
Welcome to the Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
Collection Development Policy
Digitization Resources for participants in the Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
Omeka Directions: Adding Items to Omeka
Steps to Participation
Dublin Core and Item Type Metadata descriptions
Required Dublin Core Fields for Items
Browse Items (376 total)
Browse by Tag
Periodical Room (East General Reading Room), 1925
Students study in the East General Reading Room (currently called the Periodical Room).
Room 198 (Reserve Book Room), 1944
The reserve desk and shelves are visible behind tables of students in the Reserve Book Room (currently Room 198).
Periodical Room (Main Reading Room), 1940
Tables of students are viewed from above in the library's Main Reading Room (currently called the Periodical Room).
Behind the Circulation Desk (Loan Desk), 1944
The Library Loan Desk (now called Circulation Desk) is viewed from the librarian's side, with a male staff member helping a female patron while other staff work with card files and book trucks behind the desk.
Circulation Desk (Loan Desk) in operation, 1935
At the Loan Desk (now called Circulation Desk), a male staff member hands a book to a female student, while a female staff member sits nearby.
Mr. Roe waxing the floor in the Bookends Reading Room (Periodical Reading Room), 1927
Mr. Roe operates a floor waxer in the Periodical Reading Room (currently called the Bookends Reading Room).
Periodical Room (Reference Room), 1935
Students study in the library Reference Room (currently called Periodical Room), while a librarian works at the reference desk.
Public computers on the first floor before library renovation, 1999
Public computers on the first floor are shown in a view looking east, before the 1999 library renovation.
Reference area before library renovation, 1999
The reference area is shown in a view towards the glass wall on the south, before library renovation which took place in 1999.
Room 198 before library renovation, 1999
Room 198 is shown before it was remodeled in the library renovation of 1999.