Oskaloosa College was founded in 1863 by the Christian Church. In 1881 a number of faculty moved to Des Moines and founded Drake University. In 1902, the building was purchased by Charles S. Burton of Canton, Missouri, and he moved his correspondence school to Oskaloosa. Eventually, this organization would be investigated for using mails to defraud. In 1920, C. L. Barnhouse Company purchased the building for their music conservatory and business.
C. L. Barnhouse Company
William Penn University; Wilcox Library Digital Archives