096_Greater Des Moines Education Centers

Dublin Core

Title

096_Greater Des Moines Education Centers

Subject

Public schools;Historic buildings;History;Educational Facilities;Des Moines Public Schools;Des Moines Iowa;Education

Description

This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.

Document Item Type Metadata

File Name

096_GreaterDesMoinesEducationCenters.jpg

Transcription

94 A contract was let in June of 1970 for expanding the counseling and library space at Tech High. This area also includes the Career Placement Center. The contract amounted to $50,000. An additional contract was awarded in 1974 for installation of air-conditioning of this space. The Tech High aviation laboratory existed for a number of years at E. 18th and Euclid. This was a site acquired from the U.S. Government as a surplus site. The need for a new aviation laboratory became apparent and contracts were awarded in August 1974 for a new building on a site at the Des Moines Airport, S.W. 31st and McKinley. This new laboratory, approved by F.A.A., was completed in September 1975. The students from the following major areas of job entry education are participating in a house building project each year. Students of Des Moines Tech have completed their fourth house. Carpentry Cabinet Making Printing (Publicity) Sheet Metal Electricity Refrigeration-Air Conditioning Painting/ Decorating Additional programs at Des Moines Tech include: Title I Secondary Reading New Horizons Title III Career Interest Student Survey Title III Rent-A-Kid Career Placement Alliance of Business with Pittsburg-Des Moines Steel Handicapped Driver Education Police-School Liaison Program Business Education Co-op Program Office and Secretarial Co-op Program School-Community Worker Program Trades and Industry Co-op Program Learning Resource Teacher for the Hearing Impaired Learning Disabilities Teacher Des Moines Technical High School is one of the few secondary schools in our nation offering 29 major areas of job entry education. Students may also enroll in a college preparatory academic program or a general education academic program in addition to one of the major areas of job entry training. Each year approximately 90% of the senior class are gainfully employed and 24% are college bound. Principals— 1942 - 1946 Perry Frazier 1946 - 1969 Elmer Betz 1969 - Don Blackman Greater Des Moines Education Centers 1452 - 2nd Avenue 1961 - Indianola Road In 1968, following a wave of racial incidents in the schools, and during a time when some students were beginning to question the more restrictive aspects of schools on their personal freedoms, the Board of Education opted to open a voluntary attendance program for dropouts. That program was also to be made available to certain expellees by Board action and to "kickouts" after a 30 day waiting period. Space was made available at the Julia B. Mayer Community Center on the near north side (known previously, for years, as the Jewish Community Center). The program opened in January, 1969. By June of that year the enrollment had outgrown that facility and the present site of the North Greater Des Moines Education Center was leased. The school, located at 1452 - 2nd Avenue, was named by the students. In December, 1972, a South Center was opened in a leased facility at 1961 Indianola Avenue. This Center was the result of a push by the Community Development Agency to expand the program. Both Centers presently serve students in the ninth grade and above who have not adjusted to the conventional school setting. The popularity of these alternative education centers has shown that they serve a unique segment of the school population. Special programs in the Centers in addition to the usual secondary curriculum offerings (highly individualized) include: Pre-Career Industrial Workshop Career Placement and Credit Vocational Exploration Neighborhood Youth Corps II Governor's Youth Opportunity Program Driver's Education Directors: 1968 - 1974 Charles S. Greenwood 1974 - Vincent Scavo TECH AVIATION LAB. (Photograph)