042_King and Logan Schools
042_King and Logan Schools
This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.
Digital Reproduction Information
JPEG scanned at 600 dpi resolution on an Epson Expression 10000XL Scanner
40 KING SCHOOL 1849 Forest Grades K-6 Constructed 1974 Site 3 acres Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968) Born in Atlanta, Georgia, son and grandson of Baptist ministers. Graduated from Morehouse College, completed advanced studies at Crozer Theological Seminary and Boston University. He was ordained in 1947. He married Coretta Scott in 1953 and became pastor of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1957. He received the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize for his work in leading nonviolent demonstrations for Negro rights. This program of non-violence was based on Christian concepts, Thoreau's and Gandhi's writings and practices. He was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1968 and buried in Atlanta, Georgia, leaving his widow and four children. A History of Martin Luther King Elementary School 1849 Forest Avenue DES MOINES, IOWA The history of Martin Luther King School goes back to two elementary schoolsâ€”Kirkwood School located at 27th and Clark and Nash School located at 1326-16th Street. Generation upon generation had passed through the halls of these two buildings that were to become Martin Luther King School. In 1968, plans were beginning to take form which would eventually result in a new, single educational facility to replace Nash and Kirkwood. The Board of Education and other concerned citizens were taking a new look at processes used for new school development. In 1971, a Charrette was held to begin the final stages of planning for the single facility. Charrette was defined as a vehicle included parents, senior citizens, students, teachers administrators, businessmen, agency representatives, religious leaders university personnel and special consultants. Dr. Charles Link and Dr. Donald Brubaker served as coordinators of the Charrette process and were responsible for the developmental team selected to interpret the educational findings of the Charrette participants from the Nash/Kirkwood community. From the Charrette, came a humanistic, multi-cultured direction to program development and facility planning. The process produced an educational facility which was to: 1) provide a curriculum of relevancy. 2) provide for development of self-worth and pride through the educational programs. 3) serve the recreational and health needs of the total community. 4) draw students from other communities in an effort to create a multi-cultured educational setting. The school was to be an open-spaced building with an individualized approach to learning. The learning design was to serve adults as well as children. The citizens of Des Moines Independent Community School District voted bonds for the construction of the new building and in 1972 began to build this fine new structure. Martin Luther King School opened its doors in September of 1974 with an enrollment of 480 students. Principals of King Include: 1973-1974 Howard Hart 1974-1975 Don Williams 1975- Jim Mitchell LOGAN SCHOOL East 17th and Garfield Grades K-6 Dates of construction-1895 1911 1962 Site--4.3 acres Logan School was in the Pleasant Corner School District which was later renamed the Capitol Park School District. The high school for Capitol Park was located on the second floor of the present Wallace School.