Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
Iowa Library Services

Fort Des Moines

Fort Des Moines

Title

Fort Des Moines
Preparing the Ground for Fort Des Moines, No. 3

Description

Image of the construction of Fort Des Moines, year unknown. At the end of the 19th Century it was decided that Fort Des Moines should be moved from the junction of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers to the intersection of Midwestern railroads. In 1903 the third Fort Des Moines was dedicated about 4 miles south of downtown. In 1917 it was the site of the U.S. Army’s first officer training program open to African-Americans. During World War II, the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) were established at the fort. In 1949 Fort Des Moines became a training center for the Army Reserve, and still is used for this today. In 1976 Fort Des Moines became a National Historic Landmark.

Source

Special Collections, Cowles Library -- Drake University.

Publisher

Chicago, Il. : S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.

Date

2006/05/01

Rights

U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: bart.schmidt@drake.edu

Relation

History of Des Moines and Polk County Iowa

Format

Photographic print, 3 x 4 in.

Type

Image

Identifier

v. 1, p.600
dm0200
http://ddr.lib.drake.edu/u?/du-hdm,234

Coverage

75 East Army Post Rd.