Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This house on 9th street was built in 1903 and is still standing. Mr. Carpenter was the president of the Federal Bridge Co.

Built in 1898, this house still sits on the corner of Cottage Grove Avenue and 31st St. It was the home of J. W. Turner, president of the J. W. Turner Improvement Company.

Built in 1898, this house still sits on the corner of Cottage Grove Avenue and 31st St. It was the home of J. W. Turner, president of the J. W. Turner Improvement Company.

This house on Grand Avenue was the home of Geo M. Van Evera and his wife Katherine. Mr. Van Evera was a proprietor of Van Evera and Robinson, a financial institution, as well as a proprietor of Ingleside Land Company. Current site of Des Moines…

This house on Grand Avenue was the home of Geo M. Van Evera and his wife Katherine. Mr. Van Evera was a proprietor of Van Evera and Robinson, a financial institution, as well as a proprietor of Ingleside Land Company. Current site of Des Moines…

This view of Locust Street was taken from just beyond the 5th Avenue intersection. On the right is the Marquardt Block, home of the Commercial Savings Bank and Franklin Hotel. Across the street is the Crocker Building, home to a variety of offices…

This view of Locust Street was taken from just beyond the 5th Avenue intersection. On the right is the Marquardt Block, home of the Commercial Savings Bank and Franklin Hotel. Across the street is the Crocker Building, home to a variety of offices…

This house on the corner of 21st and University was built in 1890, and is still standing. It was the home of A. H. Mabis, secretary and treasurer of the Des Moines Saddlery Company. For many years the house was used as a funeral home. Today it is the…

This house on the corner of 21st and University was built in 1890, and is still standing. It was the home of A. H. Mabis, secretary and treasurer of the Des Moines Saddlery Company. For many years the house was used as a funeral home. Today it is the…

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architecture is modified Renaissance style and the cost of construction was $750,000. The courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic Places.