Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

The Iliad Hotel was located in the Exposition Building, which formed in 1872. The building was meant to highlight Iowa goods. In 1892 two floors were added to the building and became the Iliad. The building later became Grand Department Store. The…

This house on Harwood Drive was the home of Henry H. Pharmer. Mr. Pharmer was the manager of the circulation department at Successful Farming Publishing Company. The house is still standing.

This view looking southwest across the Des Moines River was taken from the residence of Frank O. Green. Union Park is on the west bank of river. Mr. Green was the proprietor of Green's Foundry and Furnace Works. The house is no longer standing.…

This house on 30th Street was the home of David H. Buxton. Mr. Buxton was the proprietor of Globe Machinery and Supply Company. The house is no longer standing. Drake University's Stalnaker Hall currently sits on the property.

This house on Grand Avenue was the home of J. C. Mardis. Mr. Mardis was the manager of the Des Moines Cement Brick Company. The house is no longer standing. Current site of an apartment building.

This is a view looking northwest towards Science Hall at Drake University. Science Hall sat on University Avenue, near 28th street. It was built in 1893 and was known as Alumni Hall, Science Hall, and finally Sage Hall. The observation tower held …

View of the Administration Building, now known as Old Main, at Drake University. Drake University was founded in 1881. The architectural style is High Victorian Gothic. Old Main is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The cornerstone of the Capitol Building was laid on November 23, 1871. The building was completed in 1886. Unfortunately, there was no money left in the budget to finish the decorative painting of the interior of the building. In 1904 a fire broke…

The First Methodist Episcopal Church was originally located on Fifth Street. The building was erected in 1856 but later torn down. A second church was built and the two later combined and moved to the present location in 1908. The architectural style…

This house on Harwood Drive was the home of W. L. White and his wife Ella. Mr. White was the vice president and treasurer of the W L White Shoe Company. The house is no longer standing.