Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This house on 44th Street was built in 1910 and is still standing. Mr. Griffiths was the vice president and later secretary-treasurer of the Des Moines Iron Co.

This view looks north up 4th street, from just above Court Avenue. The Kirkwood Hotel is on the left. It was replaced with the current building in 1930, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Observatory Building was built…

This building on 4th street was built in 1908 and still stands today. Originally built as a theater, the structure was later part of a Buick automobile dealership. Currently used as a garage.

The Young Men's Christian Association opened in Des Moines in 1868. This building was finished in 1889 and demolished 1924. The YMCA expanded into a newer building a block north in 1912.

This building on 4th Street was constructed in 1912, and cost $150,000 to build. It is the current home of the Iowa School for the Blind. The earlier YMCA building, finished in 1889 and demolished in 1924, is on the far left of the image. The…

View looking north up 5th avenue from the Polk County Courthouse grounds. The courthouse is on the left. The trolley is turning east onto Court Avenue. visible on 5th is the Federal Building, Hoods Hotel and Gabrio W F Co. The building in the center…

The Victoria Hotel was built in 1899 at the cost of $50,000. It was built on the residence of Dr. Francis Grimmel, a physician and community leader. An addition was added in 1910 at the cost of $90,000, despite the fact that some critics charged the…

Originally planned at four stories, the Chamberlain Hotel grew to six stories before its completion in 1903. D.S. Chamberlain hired W.L. Brown, former manager of the Savery hotel, to oversee construction of the building. Current site of the Ruan Two…

Des Moines Life, pictured on the right, was incorporated in 1885 and had a capital stock of $100,000. The Securities Building was built in 1910.

This house on Arlington Avenue was built in 1904 and is still standing. It was the home of Ford Howell. Mr. Howell was the secretary of the Midland Farm and Land Company, the Midland Lyceum Bureau and the Midland Orchard Company.