Browse Items (42282 total)

This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.

This is a picture of Professor and Mrs. Charles R. Keyes dressed as "The Folks (Ruth Suckow's novel.) The Keyes were attending a faculty party sponsored by the Fine Arts and Library Division labeled as the Beaux Arts Frolic. The photo was part of an…

Here is a view of the parking lots east of the Capitol in 2010.

Dr. Charles Keyes is sitting against a tree with an unidentified friend.

This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.

The present capitol building is Iowa's third since statehood in 1846. The first capitol building was located in Iowa City. Called Old Stone Capitol, the building served as the seat of state government for 16 years. The building continues to be used…

Dr. Charles Keyes with his collection of Native American Artifacts.

The north entrance of the Iowa Capitol as shown here in the fall of 2010 faces Grand Avenue. The west entrance, to the right, faces east 9th street. East 10th street does not go through here anymore.

This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.

In 1896, the Iowa Legislature passed a law providing for the erection of a "Memorial, Historical and Art Building". The law provided for the purchase of property adjacent to the Capitol building and grounds for the purpose of construction and for the…