Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This was the home of George H. France and his wife Nannie. Mr. France worked in various financial and real estate interests in Des Moines. He was born in Sharon, Wisconsin on September 17, 1851 and came to Des Moines in 1887. The original address of…

View looking north up 5th avenue from the Polk County Courthouse grounds. The courthouse is on the left. The trolley is turning east onto Court Avenue. visible on 5th is the Federal Building, Hoods Hotel and Gabrio W F Co. The building in the center…

View looks west across the Des Moines River, just south of the Locust Street Bridge. On the left is the Public Library and on the right is the Des Moines Coliseum. In the distance is the Observatory Building and The Savery Hotel. The Coliseum was…

Originally planned at four stories, the Chamberlain Hotel grew to six stories before its completion in 1903. D.S. Chamberlain hired W.L. Brown, former manager of the Savery hotel, to oversee construction of the building. Current site of the Ruan Two…

View looking west from Fourth and Walnut Streets. On the left side of the picture is Nicoll the Tailor. On the right side is Willner Brothers & Company, a clothing store for men and boys. Also visible are the Lyric Theatre and Mandelbaum's, a dry…

View looking southeast across the Des Moines River at the 6th Avenue Bridge.

This building on 4th street was built in 1908 and still stands today. Originally built as a theater, the structure was later part of a Buick automobile dealership. Currently used as a garage.

This view looks south down Sixth Avenue from Locust Street. Automobiles, trolley cars and horse drawn carriages all crowd the road. On the right are housed Higgin’s Pharmacy, the State Insurance Company and Boston Market. Beyond that is Utica…

Des Moines Life, pictured on the right, was incorporated in 1885 and had a capital stock of $100,000. The Securities Building was built in 1910.

Looking east down Locust street we see the Clapp Block (with the Iowa Mutual Tornado sign) and the Observatory Building both on the right side of the street. Capital Center is what currently occupies that side of the street. The left side of street,…