Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

In 1859 the Des Moines school district, previously one entity, fractioned off into wards. West High School was in the Fourth Ward. On July 1, 1864 the board voted to open the high school. West was the largest high school in Iowa. It moved to the…

This house on 12th Street was home to Harry M. Stone and his wife Caroline. Mr. Stone was a stockbroker and proprietor of H. M. Stone & Co. The house is no longer standing. Current site of a parking lot.

This house on 12th Street was home to Harry M. Stone and his wife Caroline. Mr. Stone was a stockbroker and proprietor of H. M. Stone & Co. The house is no longer standing. Current site of a parking lot.

This house on the corner of 21st and University was built in 1890, and is still standing. It was the home of A. H. Mabis, secretary and treasurer of the Des Moines Saddlery Company. For many years the house was used as a funeral home. Today it is the…

This house on the corner of 21st and University was built in 1890, and is still standing. It was the home of A. H. Mabis, secretary and treasurer of the Des Moines Saddlery Company. For many years the house was used as a funeral home. Today it is the…

Built in 1900, this house on 22nd Street was home to the family of Reverend George Breckenridge Peak. In 1896 Rev. Peak founded the Central Life Assurance Society. The company is now known as AmerUs Group. The house is still standing and is listed on…

This house on 25th Street was the home of Keller J. Bell. Mr. Bell was the manager of the Farmers Co-operative Produce Company. The house was razed for the construction of I-235. The highway now runs across the property.

This house on 28th Street is still standing. It was home to the G. D. Ellyson family. Mr. Ellyson was the president of Marquardt Savings Bank and Treasurer of the Ideal Auto Company.

This house on 28th Street is still standing. It was home to the G. D. Ellyson family. Mr. Ellyson was the president of Marquardt Savings Bank and Treasurer of the Ideal Auto Company.

This house on 28th Street was built in 1913 for H. C. Downing and his family. Mr. Downing was proprietor of Downing Electrical Company. The house is still standing.