Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

Looking east down Locust street we see the Clapp Block (with the Iowa Mutual Tornado sign) and the Observatory Building both on the right side of the street. Capital Center is what currently occupies that side of the street. The left side of street,…

This was the second of three buildings that have been called The Savery. The first structure closed in 1878. This second building opened at a new location in 1888 to much fanfare. The entire building was lit by electric light, quite a novelty in…

This was the second out of three buildings that have been called The Savery. The first structure closed in 1878. This second building opened at a new location in 1888 to much fanfare. The entire building was lit by electric light, quite a novelty in…

The Municipal Building serves as Des Moines' City Hall. This was Des Moines' second City Hall, the original having stood at 2nd and Locust Streets. The new City Hall was built in 1910. The city council was adamant that this new edifice to local…

This house on Pennsylvania Avenue was the home of Frank O. Green. Mr. Green was the proprietor of Green's Foundry and Furnace Works. The house is no longer standing. Current site of an apartment building.

This house on Pennsylvania Avenue was built in 1907 and is still standing. It was the home of L. Aulmann. Mr. Aulmann was the manager of Eagle Iron Works.

Central Church of Christ was founded in 1860 by a group of Des Moines pioneers. Peter T. Russell was the first reverend. The first meetings of the church were held in schools and public halls. Current site of the Principal Financial Campus.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church was originally located on Fifth Street. The building was erected in 1856 but later torn down. A second church was built and the two later combined and moved to the present location in 1908. The architectural style…

The First Methodist Episcopal Church was originally located on Fifth Street. The building was erected in 1856 but later torn down. A second church was built and the two later combined and moved to the present location in 1908. The architectural style…

This house on Polk Blvd. was built in 1902 and is still standing. It was the home of Jas. Horrabin. Mr. Horrabin was the president of Horrabin Construction Company and Oak Park Sand Company.