Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This is a view from the Fleming Building facing southeast. The intersection pictured is 5th and Court. To the right is the Polk County Courthouse. The building with the Standard Life Insurance Co. sign is the Youhe building. Visible buildings listed…

This house on Polk Blvd. was the home of W. L. Drake. Mr. Drake was the second vice president of the Texas Oil Producers Company. The house is still standing.

This house on Forest Drive was built in 1908 and is still standing. It was the home of Dr. C. E. Ruth. Dr. Ruth was a physician and surgeon.

The Grant Club was the largest men's club in Iowa as well as the best known and most politically influential. The club's origins were Republican and the club is named after President Grant. Many visiting statesmen have given addresses at the Grant…

This building on 4th Street was constructed in 1912, and cost $150,000 to build. It is the current home of the Iowa School for the Blind. The earlier YMCA building, finished in 1889 and demolished in 1924, is on the far left of the image. The…

The cornerstone of the Capitol Building was laid on November 23, 1871 and construction was completed in 1886. Unfortunately, there was no money left in the budget to finish the decorative painting of the interior of the building. In 1904 a fire broke…

The first Iowa State Fair held in Fairfield, Iowa Oct. 25-27, 1854. The fair moved between various cities before settling in Des Moines in 1879. Fairs were held in West Des Moines in an area known as Brown's Park until 1886, when the General…

Highland Park College was organized by a group of businessmen in 1889. The cornerstone was laid in the fall of 1889 and the college opened in September 1890. At the time this picture was taken, attendance at the college averaged about 2,000 students.…

This house on Grand Avenue was built in 1910 and is still standing. It was the home of H. M. Patten. Mr. Patten was an inventor.

This house on 44th Street was built in 1913 and is still standing. Mr. Parritt was the secretary-treasurer of the Parritt-Denman Co.