Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This house on Forest Drive was the home of J. M. Pierce. Mr. Pierce was the president and business manager of the Homestead Company. The house is no longer standing, and the lot has been incorporated into neighboring properties.

This house on Forest Drive was built in 1884 and is still standing. It was home to Mr. Cummins and his wife Ida. A. B. Cummins was one of the original faculty of the Drake University College of Law. He was governor of Iowa from 1902 - 1908. He went…

Built in 1911 for the Bonebrake family, this house on 44th Street is still standing. By 1920 the Bonebrakes had sold the home and apparently left Des Moines.

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architectural design is Modified Renaissance style. The cost of construction was $750,000. The Polk County Courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic…

This house on Forest Dr. was built in 1900 and is still standing. The sign next to the driveway reads "PRIVATE GROUNDS [ST]AY OUT."It was the home of Lafayette Young and his wife Josephine. Mr. Young was the editor and proprietor of The Des Moines…

This house on 35th Street was the home of Oswald Lorenz. Mr. Lorenz was the proprietor of Oswald Lorenz Co., an insurance company. Current site of the Des Moines Fellowship Church.

This was the home of Earl A. Lewis. The location of this house is unclear. The house number above the door reads 2938. Mr. Lewis was the Vice President of U.S. Auto Insurance Company, and Secretary of the American Banker Securities Co.

This house on Ridge Road was built in 1912 and is still standing. It was home of Dr. Walter L. Bierring and his wife Sadie. Dr. Bierrring was a professor of Theory of Medicine at Drake University from 1910-14. He served as president of the Iowa State…

This view from the Fleming Building faces northeast toward Locust Street. The Fleming Building was built in 1909 and still stands on 6th Avenue. The building with the tower is the Observatory Building, which was one of the tallest buildings in the…

The cornerstone of the Capitol Building was laid on November 23, 1871. The building was completed in 1886. Unfortunately, there was no money left in the budget to finish the decorative painting of the interior of the building. In 1904 a fire broke…