Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

The Polk County Courthouse was erected in 1900 and dedicated on Oct. 31, 1906. The architecture is modified Renaissance style and the cost of construction was $750,000. The courthouse is listed on National Register of Historic Places.

This house on 44th Street was the home of Mr. J. H. Matthews and his wife Minnie. Mr. Matthews was the treasurer and manager of Capital City Carriage Co. The house is still standing.

This house on 44th Street was the home of Mr. J. H. Matthews and his wife Minnie. Mr. Matthews was the treasurer and manager of Capital City Carriage Co. The house is still standing.

After spending its first 14 years in Des Moines moving to different locations the YWCA moved into this building in 1909. The building cost $99,000 and featured dormitories on the third floor and a large lunch room on the first floor. Current site of…

After spending its first 14 years in Des Moines moving to different locations the YWCA moved into this building in 1909. The building cost $99,000 and featured dormitories on the third floor and a large lunch room on the first floor. Current site of…

This house on 12th Street was home to Harry M. Stone and his wife Caroline. Mr. Stone was a stockbroker and proprietor of H. M. Stone & Co. The house is no longer standing. Current site of a parking lot.

This house on 12th Street was home to Harry M. Stone and his wife Caroline. Mr. Stone was a stockbroker and proprietor of H. M. Stone & Co. The house is no longer standing. Current site of a parking lot.

This house on 28th Street is still standing. It was home to the G. D. Ellyson family. Mr. Ellyson was the president of Marquardt Savings Bank and Treasurer of the Ideal Auto Company.

This house on 28th Street is still standing. It was home to the G. D. Ellyson family. Mr. Ellyson was the president of Marquardt Savings Bank and Treasurer of the Ideal Auto Company.

This house on Forest Drive was the home of J. M. Pierce. Mr. Pierce was the president and business manager of the Homestead Company. The house is no longer standing, and the lot has been incorporated into neighboring properties.