Browse Items (214 total) for Des Moines University Historic Photograph Collection

This house on Forest Drive was built in 1905 and is still standing. Mr. Gilcrest was the secretary and treasurer of J K & W H Gilcrest Co.

This house on Forest Drive was built in 1908 and is still standing. It was the home of Dr. C. E. Ruth. Dr. Ruth was a physician and surgeon.

This house on Forest Drive was built in 1904 and is still standing. It was the home of H. D. Rawson. Mr. Rawson was an architect. He was the proprietor of the Hallett and Rawson Company, and a member of the firm Proudfoot, Rawson & Souters.

This house on Forest Drive was the home of J. M. Pierce. Mr. Pierce was the president and business manager of the Homestead Company. The house is no longer standing, and the lot has been incorporated into neighboring properties.

This house on Forest Drive was the home of J. M. Pierce. Mr. Pierce was the president and business manager of the Homestead Company. The house is no longer standing, and the lot has been incorporated into neighboring properties.

This house on Forest Dr. was built in 1900 and is still standing. The sign next to the driveway reads "PRIVATE GROUNDS [ST]AY OUT."It was the home of Lafayette Young and his wife Josephine. Mr. Young was the editor and proprietor of The Des Moines…

Image of the construction of Fort Des Moines, year unknown. At the end of the 19th Century it was decided that Fort Des Moines should be moved from the junction of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers to the intersection of Midwestern railroads. In…

Image of the construction of Fort Des Moines, year unknown. At the end of the 19th Century it was decided that Fort Des Moines should be moved from the junction of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers to the intersection of Midwestern railroads. In…

This was the home of George H. France and his wife Nannie. Mr. France worked in various financial and real estate interests in Des Moines. He was born in Sharon, Wisconsin on September 17, 1851 and came to Des Moines in 1887. The original address of…

The Golf and Country Club was organized in October 1897. The club offered golf, tennis, archery, baseball, bowling, trap-shooting and cards. Originally organized on a 40 acre piece of land near Ingersoll Park, the club moved west to a 100 acre tract…