Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
State Library of Iowa

Ola Babcock Miller Building


Ola Babcock Miller Building


The building was designed by architect Oliver O. Smith in 1898 in the Beaux Arts style. It is one of the oldest buildings in the Iowa State Capitol Complex. The building initially housed the Iowa State Historical Society, which up to this time had three rooms in the capitol building. They moved here in 1899 and stayed until their present building was completed in 1987. After an historic renovation the building was renamed in honor of Ola Babcock Miller, Iowa’s first female Secretary of State. The building now houses the State Library of Iowa, which has occupied space in the building since 1912.


This digital image may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this file is permitted without written permission of the State Library of Iowa.



Original Format



Iowa Library Services/ State Library of Iowa